Monday, August 6, 2012

Jamaica 50: Patriotism or “Waggonism”? Either Way, We Proud a Wi Island



12:01am August 6, 1962, the Union Jack was lowered one last time; the National Stadium went into darkness. As the lights came back on the colours of black, green and gold were seen flowing in the air. That was the colour of the national flag. A new nation was born, free from the British monarch. A nation filled with promise, prosperity and a set of people who planned on taking the world by storm. 
Fast forward into present day August 6, 2012, Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake stood on the podium in London as Jamaica’s National Anthem played loudly and proudly in the stadium as over 80,000 people watched in awe. If you’ve never believed in destiny then today your minds were persuaded to. It was no coincidence that Jamaica’s national anthem was being played in London (Land of the British Monarchs) on the day we celebrated 50 years of Independence. Whatever God you believe in must have carved this into the destiny of our island.
The title of this article might cause some controversy but I’m never one to stay away from that. Over the last two weeks I’ve seen an increase in patriotism. A friend of mine even told me she was annoyed because most of these people are a bunch of waggonist. Truth be told, I kinda support that view. Over the years I’ve heard people say we’d be better off as a British colony but I cannot determine whether or not that would be true. One can only assume.
I am born and raised Jamaican and I believe I can judge my own country and say majority of the time we are waggonist. Just pay attention to our sports teams and you’ll see we only back them when they are doing well and desert them when they don’t perform to expectation. Don’t bother comparing them to other teams in the world because we talking about Jamaica here.
Now I have to ask myself this question whether we are really into this Jamaica50 celebration or we just in the Jamaica fever because of the Olympics? Frankly, I’m in no support of only wearing your colours to be considered a Jamaican or only wear it on special occasions like today. I’m sure somebody’s gonna bash me and say I should just enjoy the moment. Well I am enjoying the moment but I still have to point out my observation. Make no mistake, I Stephen Stanberry, am a very patriotic and proud Jamaican and if you know me personally you would know that. It would have been nice if they took 50 schools on the island and carry out some major refurbishing.
But enough drama, seriously, our nation has come a far way in the last 50 years. We set the world alight in music, sports, education and many other fields. We are blessed with the fighting spirit of our African forefathers mixed with Western Society as we enjoy our very unique culture. For a small dot on the worlds map there is no better example to the Jamaican proverb “We likkle but we tallawah”. I implore each and every Jamaican whether at yard or abroad, born and raised or naturalized citizen and those who even want to be Jamaican, never forget this blessed island located in the wonderful Caribbean Sea; a nation abundantly blessed with food and the coolest set of people on the planet. Let your voices be heard, though we are small in land size we are mighty in heart. Let the Black, Green and Gold continue to shine brightly around the world. We are on A Mission to Find the Flag in Our Hearts. Jump Jump Jump we are 50 and despite the hardship and difficulties we face we are PROUD to be JAMAICAN.
"Sing the words of our National Anthem Eternal Father Bless our Land, guard us with thy mighty hand. Say the Words of our National Pledge, Before God and all mankind I pledge the love and loyalty of my heart” and never forget the words of the National Pledge Song, I Pledge my heart forever to serve with Humble Pride."
This is the land of my birth, One Nation, One Mission, The Pride of the Caribbean. To all Jamaicans around the world and all who admire this blessed island, let’s all work together to make this nation increase in beauty and prosperity. Happy 50th Independence Jamaica!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

prime