Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Country, My Culture, My History




Black, Green and Gold the colours of the National flag of Jamaica. Black representing the strength and creativity of the people which has allowed them to overcome the odds, yellow for the golden sunshine and green for the lush vegetation of the island. By geographical location and nationality we are Jamaicans, but really and truly who are we? What does it mean to be Jamaican. We've become so Americanized in our ways we have forgotten who we really are. God bless the few who continue to protect and preserve our culture and our history. Many will disagree with me but the reality is they are just hiding from the truth.

I've met a number of people who say history is boring and majority of them don't know much about their Jamaican history. A lot of our adults don't know the National Anthem, National Pledge or even the National Song. In my personal view this is sad and depressing. Ironically if we are seeking citizenship into a foreign land we would have to know certain critical information and i'm sure we'd be "hellbent" on knowing it cause we want the citizenship.

But seriously, Jamaica is having an identity crisis. We only are proud when our sports persons do well or we achieve success in other areas. Apart from that, too many of us are ashamed to be Jamaicans.

In concluding we really need to keep back to basics. We need to appreciate and respect our history and cultural heritage. Teach our children the words of our anthem, we cant depend on schools alone. Be a Proud Jamaican, I know I'm a Proud Jamaican. Save Jamaica, Believe in Jamaica, Hope for Jamaica. S.B. Stanberry

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. As a Canadian I believe we have culture ... but I find I seek a richer culture, more tight knit, proud sense of community. I think the Jamaican culture is beautiful and I enjoy learning more about it. America is so
    Commercialized that I find it sad... What can I teach my children? I will try to travel with them and share the Rich cultures of the world and that includes beautiful Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete

prime