Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Jamaica…Independent from our colonial past but are we really free?

Jamaica…Independent from our colonial past but are we really free?
As Jamaica prepared for “Independence” in 1962 there was a popular Ad on TV which says
“Never have Jamaicans been so gay (meaning happy), cleaning up, painting up for Independence Day. Ask anyone from pups to grandpaps they all say Clean Up, Paint Up for Independence Day.”

The share excitement from that Ad as well as persons who were alive then; highlights that they were Happy to finally be free of the colonial past.
But fast-forward to 2013, are we truly independent? Are we really free? Some might beg to differ and argue that we are still colonized, not by the British monarch, but by the IMF who dictates to us how to run our country.
The sad reality is our country is in shambles, our economy sucks, education is available like never before but is it really working? Our best economic growth was probably during the late 1960s after the discovery of “Bauxite”.
But have we really progressed? Have we really achieved or maximize on our full potential? We seem to be stuck in a state of transition flirting with the idea of change and growth but never really push hard enough to achieve it.
Examples of our colonial past will forever be present as it’s visible in our architecture and other facets of our lives.
On Independence Day yesterday August 6, 2013, I ask myself the question: What if Michael Manley's philosophy had worked, would Jamaica be the crown jewel and envy of the Caribbean?
Food for thought: the bias people among us would make their voices be heard on this topic. But I am of the opinion that it would have worked granted he was given enough support.
As I conclude I ponder and reflect my own life, the path I wanna take, it’s no hidden secret that I have political ambitions……but I’ll leave that alone.
Daily I stroll through the streets of downtown Kingston, and there I come across some of the strongest person’s I’ve seen. A people filled with determination to go on no matter the weather, a set of people with some of the most creative minds and ingenuity just to get the numerous passersby’s to buy their product.
Many hope for a better tomorrow. Who will be the leader to grab Jamaica by its roots and bring forth a better tomorrow? Will we achieve 100 years of Independence before this leader comes forth?
During the 1970s Manley said "We come too far we not turning back now. We have a pride now, we have a place now, we have a mission now.”
2012 Jamaica 50 song: I’m on a Mission, today’s the day”
What is that Mission?
After 51 years of being an Independent Nation the mission still eludes me….I will continue to believe in the Jamaican people though who continue to struggle, fight and will die to defend the freedom of the blessed nation (some might disagree) but…….Betta mus come…give ourselves a chance and….betta will come.

S.B. Stanberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

prime