Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Random Brambles About Jamaica's Current State. DEPRESSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Friday June 7, 2013 the news broke that the Jamaican dollar reached a record high against the United States (US) currency at average selling rate climbing to J$100.08, according to the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) foreign-exchange trading summary.

According to the historical exchange selling rates provided by the BOJ in a time series of the US dollar versus the Jamaican dollar, in 1971, the US dollar was sold at an average rate of J$0.77.

Tracking J$ over three decades
1971 - J$0.77
1980 - J$1.78
1990 - J$6.50
2000 - J$41.49
2010 - J$89.59
2011 - J$85.87
2012 - J$86.60
2013 - J$92.77
Present - J$100.08

Daily I wake up and I’m in a very depressed state. Reason being I have never seen Jamaica achieve positive economic growth in all my existence.
Jamaica is a country blessed with potential but we seem to be stuck in that state. Our leaders have failed us and we have failed ourselves. I look around me and I see poverty, unemployment, and underemployment.
I even lack the motivation required to blog this article.
I sit and scratch my head daily trying to figure out how to turn this country around, bear in mind this isn’t my job as I was not elected leader of the blessed nation.
I am proud to be a Jamaica but I’m ashamed of where we are in our development. I believe we are the laughing stock of CARICOM.
I am a patriot but right now as it stands if I get a chance to leave this place then I will take it.
We cannot continue to fool ourselves and hide behind our successes in sports and music. We preach tourism yet we are not doing anything different from the rest of the Caribbean and the Americas in that sector.
We need to think “outside the box.” No scratch that we need to “think like there is no box”. We should become innovators of our own destiny.
The world is at a stage in history when technology has shown its capabilities. We hear of Solar and Wind energy. But it confuses me as to why an island located in the tropics blessed with wind and never ending sunshine fails to invest in these technologies on a large scale.
Also we need to invest in Green House technology to assist our farmers and feed our nation and stop all these imports.
I ask myself the question…Do we really care about each other? Does our government care about us?
We elect them yet all we get are broken promises and in those broken promises the rest of us sit and complain.
Are our voices being heard? The news each day is all negative. What will we do?

Where will we go? Who will we look to? Who will lead this country? I have lost faith in our leaders? 51 years after Independence we have failed to live up to expectation.

S.B. Stanberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

prime