Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reflections: Life and Death


We all expect to live until old age. We expect our parents, extended family, friends to live until they are old and grey as well. But life doesn't work that way. We live in a world that is filled with sickness and unforeseen events that no one can predict. I myself suffered pain and sadness after losing my mother to death. Never in a million years would I have expected this. But the day I found out she hand cancer my world turned upside-down.

The difference between old age and sickness or accident, in old age you know when they die they just fade away peacefully in the sunset while on the flip side, sickness/accident for a period of time that person suffers until the breath leaves their bodies. I'm sure if we had the choice of choosing how we want to die many would agree that the peaceful way of just fading away into the sunset is the best option.

But as it approaches 6 years since I lost my mom, and all this happen before I was 20(don't try to figure my age). I must say I'm a lot stronger than I was at that time. I've heard many people say I was strong how I dealt with it but no one saw me internally. I was torn apart. My perfect world ended. I always thought Mom would get to meet her daughter-in-law and live and see her grandchildren(some fantasy). But Life doesn't work that way.

After so many years, you thought it would be easier but its not. We just learn to live and accept the situation. My mother was a strong woman, but seeing her so weak broke my heart especially that I couldn't do anything about it. I don't like to see people suffer no where in society.

Life is short, life is unpredictable, we make plans but sometimes life doesn't work that way. I wont bother to drag out this mom drama again but remember cherish your family and friends, love each other, forgive each other, respect each other. Tell them how you feel. The song says:


Sometimes in our lives we all have pain

We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on


We all want somebody to lean on, no matter how independent we claim we are. We can never go through life alone. If you've lost someone close to you may their souls rest in Peace. We don't know the hour or the time when we will leave this world. As I close, Reflect on your life, make sure all is right with you, your friends, family and God. S.B. Stanberry

2 comments:

  1. This is something you never gonna forget Stephen...Nothing is wrong with you talking about your mom over and over...Very happy to know you have gather the strength to move on.Weeping will only last for a night ..but joy will come in the morning...Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with MS H...nothing wrong sharing how you feel about your mom's passing. Even though it's been 6 years, you'll never forget or somehow lose the love you had for her. You're right. We have to make each day count and never forget to cherish our family and friends. And I add that even in how we relate to colleagues, acquaintances, and strangers we should be careful to treat them well. The ripple effect of our words and actions is oftentimes not realized.

    ReplyDelete

prime